House Fired by Telegraph

Insulator Failed to Protect House

[Newspaper]

Publication: The Poughkeepsie Journal

Poughkeepsie, NY, United States
vol. VII, no. 339, p. 2, col. 2


SUMMARY


House Fired by Telegraph. During the heavy rain on Thursday evening the dwelling house of Mr. Calvin Taylor, corner Maine and Washington streets, was set on fire by a current of electricity from the wire of one of our telegraphic lines. As the ignition took place at the spot where the insulator was fastened to the corner of the house, it is not improbable that the insulation was imperfect. Norwich Courier.

--

Keywords:Lightning Damage : Telegraph Lines
Researcher notes: 
Supplemental information: 
Researcher:Glenn Drummond
Date completed:February 10, 2010 by: Glenn Drummond;