Publication: The Vidette-Messenger
Valparaiso, IN, United States
City Shop Windows
Tell Stories of
Porter county is rich in historical lore and relics which if placed in a museum would be forever a center of attraction for all citizens of the county and visitors who came to Valparaiso.
This is being demonstrated by window displays of Valparaiso merchants during Centennial week. Thousands of articles of interest to both the old and younger generations are on exhibition, providing a means of study of conditions as they existed a hundred or more years ago.
The relic display of the Cententnial is probably one of its most valuable features of the observance. Thousands of persons have already viewed the exhibits scattered in stores throughout the business district.
In the Sieb building which is temporarily leased to the Lowenstine store for window display purposes, the largest collection is shown because of the greater space. In the windows of the Sieb building are displayed church candelbras, made in 1640, loaned by Dr. A. Nogard, of Butternut Springs; a clock, 100 years old, loaned by Myron Benedict; a silver jewel chest, loaned by Mrs. William Morehouse of Kouts, owned by her grandmother, and a sliver service owned by her mother; old watch and purse loaned by Mrs. Grace Cain Leffew, and owned by Harmon Beach who was born in 1812; jewelry owned by Mrs. Benton, grandmother of Mrs. John McNay, Chester; tea cups 85 years old, loaned by Miss Florence Newsom; water pitcher, 1850, loaned by Mrs. Ira Meader; pitcher, 105 years old owned by Mrs. Samuel Fenner Great-grandmotlier of Jessie Lytle Bradley; pewter tea pot, 105 years old, old lamp, and lunch basket used when a traveler made the trip from California to Indiana after the first railroad was built to the coast, loaned by Mrs. William Topper, of Washington township; teapot 150 years old, leaned by Mrs. Harry Fox; spoons, 1780, owned by Joseph Bradley.
Dishes, 150 years old, and candle sticks owned by her great-grandmother, loaned by miss Nettie Carter; mortar and pestle used to grind coffee, 100 years old, loaned by Mrs. H. H. Pinney; majolica ware used by Joseph Kitchen family, loaned by George Lee of Washington township; vase owned by Nehemiah Merrill, mother of James and George Merrill, of Flint lake; castor 78 years old, loaned by Mrs. C. E. Payne; wolf trap, 1850, loaned by Glen Hyatt; paper containing account of Lincoln's death loaned by Vernon Hyatt; pattern for oxen yoke, 200 years old, loaned by Page Covert, Morgan township; boxes in old postoffice at Maiden, loaned by Emma Covert; boots worn by Lester Beach, 1850, with pegged soles, loaned by Minnie Leffew; piece of meteor found near Jacob Shatz farm in June, 1926, when it fell in road ahead of Truman Lenburg, who was driving in auto; coffee grinder owned by Jerry Foster; saddle horse loaned by Emma Covert of Maiden; book, Saints Everlasting Rest, printed in 1821 and given to John Parr in 1828, loaned by Mrs. John Watt.
Old Bible, 1727 loaned by Mrs. George Popp; regalia, worn on St. Patrick's day parades, loaned by Mary Cronican; shaving kettle, 150 years old, loaned by Mrs. E. O. Hill; ladies hose, embroidered, and used as wedding outfit in 1842, loaned by Mrs. George Koontz of Pleasant township; side saddle, purchased by Charles Stewart in 1870 for his first wife, loaned by Mrs. W. E. Swanson, who also used it when girl; sugar bowl, 150 years old, owned by John Fleming, the second white child born in Porter county, loaned by Emma Covert; book on medicine presented to William B. Blachly upon his graduation from Princeton university in 1791, owned by the late U. G. Blachly; carpenter's plane used by Mr. French, grandfather of Floyd Adams; oxen yoke, 60 years old, loaned by Hardesty Brothers, of Union township; platter, 1824, used by her great-grandmother, Jane Vastbinder Lisle, and platter and vegetable dish, used by her grand-mother, Mrs. James Lisle Kimerer in 1866, and platter used by her mother, Helen Lisle Kimerer Frakes in 1889, loaned by Mrs. Lois Frakes Brown; billfold of Jeremiah Hamell loaned by Narcissa Hamell; chest of drawers brought to Porter county in 1833 by Adam S. Campbell, one of the first settlers, to keep shoemaker tools in, loaned by son, Otto Campbell; violoin 100 years old, loaned by Mrs. Catherine Brady; violin made in 1773 loaned by Samuel Buchanan.
Dulcimer (harp) 105 years old, loaned by Otto Ogden; wool carder, 1840, loaned by Mrs. M. C. Sergeant; wool blanket spun 75 years ago of wool spun by Mrs. Amos Campbell, antique iron and old dishes loaned by Mrs. H. H. Pinney; spur worn by father of J. B. Foley in Civil war; baby shoe purchased 75 years ago at Wood store in Deep River, loaned by Mrs. Lewis Miller of Sedley; cradle made in 1868 for Delta Fox Stread; horn 60 years old used by Thomas Lemster, loaned by Elmer Lemster; jars to store fruit butter, 75 years old, loaned by Lucile Apt Brown; steel yards, loaned by Tracy and Marchie Eglin; carding machine used 75 years ago by Amos Wilson; rolling pin, 110 years old, loaned by Tracy and Marchie Eglin; razor, 90 years old, loaned by Mrs. Emma Ross; letter case carried by Jared Blake during Civil war; tailor's iron used in Lewis Miller family for seven generations; cain, used by John Eglin in 1844, loaned by Tracy and Marchie Eglin.
In the Sieb building is a large display of furniture, quilts and other articles. Among, them are a table 125 years old, loaned by Tracy and Marchie Eglin; a cradle, 125 years old,.used for five generations of the George Chester family, and a writing desk 125 years old; a trunk made in 1836 by Henry Westbay and carried in the back of a buggy, loaned by his grand-daughter, Mrs. W. E. Swanson; a rope bed 100 years old loaned by Frank Cornish; an organ stool, 125 years, old, and a fireplace bench, 120 years old, loaned by Mr;. J. C. Rock; a table owned by Harmon Beach, an old pioneer, loaned by Grace Cain Leffew; a table owned by Adam Campbell, first settler, loaned by Mrs. Martin Cain; table 100 years old loaned by Frances Church, of Washington township; a table made In 1817-18 at Independence, Ind., loaned by Paul McDonald; a trundle bed slept in by her when a child, loaned by Mrs. M. C. Sergeant; a walnut cradle, 100 years in the Dille family, loaned by Maude Ludolph; a patent rocker 67 years old, loaned by Mrs. Earl Goble, a fire-screen from the old Bailly homestead at Baillytown, loaned by Mrs. George Chester; two chairs 101 years old loaned by Mrs. George Chester; melodeon, loaned by Mrs. Joseph Bradley.
Clock with wooden wheels, 125 years old, loaned by Frank Cornish; old books loaned by Narcisss Hamell; steel yards, 70 years old, loaned by Mrs. George LaForce, books of John Cronican when he late Mrs. William Cronican until her death in 1916; lamp 95 years old, loaned by Miss Florence Newsom; walnut bureau, 150 years old, loaned by Tracy and Marchie Eglin; lantern, 125 years old, owned by late Thomas Bushore; school books of John Cranican when he attended school at the Valparaiso, seminary and tuition was paid teachers by parents; baby basket, to carry clothes, 93 years old, loaned by Mrs. Byron Rigg, Sr.; yarn reel for skeining yarn; old books containing geography of 1811, and teacher's license of 1864 signed by Judge William Johnston, loaned by Fred H. Cole; high chairs, 72 and 85 years old, loaned by Mable Adams and Hubert McConkey, respectively; churn used by John Shinabarger 70 years ago, loaned by Lucille Apt Brown; boot jack brought from Ohio by his grand-father, Edmund Sheffield, in 1850, loaned by Walter Williams; brass bucket, 100 years old, loaned by Charles Kuehl, Morgan township; copper tea kettle, 100 years old, owned by Otto Hurbeck's grand-parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Kuehl; sausage stuffer, 100 years old; brought to Tassinong by A. J. Zorn loaned by Mrs. George Koontz; waffle iron used for seven generations in the Lewis Miller family at Sedley; sausage grinder, loaned by Mrs. H. H. Pinney; a chair, 1830, loaned by Mrs. Robert Herron; bosom board, manufactured by E. L. Foster, Valparaiso, fifty years ago, for ironing stiff shirts, loaned by Mrs. W. E. Swanson; iron fire fork, for picking up charcoal, 150 years old, loaned by S. A. Sholes; old wool carders, loaned by Mary Cronican; old iron, 100 years old, loaned by Jessie Nichols.
Wheeler and Wilson sewing machine, bought second hand sixty years ago, still usable, loaned by Mrs. Jennie Surge, of Union township, who will give demonstration on it Wednesday; hand loom, 60 years old, which furnished material for family of eight, loaned by Schuyler Harrdesty; wooden hames, used by William Phillips when he came to Porter county in 1860, loaned by William Phillips when he came to Porter county in 1860, loaned by Walter Williams; oxen yoke used by the Robert Pinkerton family in breaking the prairie in Essex township, now part of Morgan township, 75 years ago; well pully, 100 years old, loaned by Tracy and Marchie Eglin; grain cradle, 50 years old, loaned by Crisman Brothers.
Quilting frame, loaned by Tracy and Marchie Eglin; steel yards, hand hammered, and hickory cow tie, loaned by H. H. Pinney; 4-row corn dropper, 1859, loaned by Lee Hodsden, Union township; side saddle, 115 years old, loaned by Charles Phillips, used by his grandmother, May Shoup, and mother, Mary Shoup Phillips; spinning wheel, 100 years old, loaned by Mrs. Arthur Pierce, and used by her grandmother, Mrs. Sachtleben; hay barn fork, 1885, used by George Nichols, loaned by Elmer Nichols; cross saw, 150 years old, brought from Bavaria, Germany in 1854, loaned by Fred Brobeck.
At the Sieb building is also an excellent array of quilts. Those displaying quilts are Mrs. Russell Stoner, a quilt made by Hannah Stoner when a girl; Nelson Pinkerton, a quilt made in 1848; Mrs. George Ferguson, two quilts made in 1856 and 1857; Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Ross, quilt made in 1836; Miss Florence Newsom a quilt 85 years old; Mrs. M. C. Sergeant, two quilts, one made in 1885 and one in 1866; Mrs. Russell Stoner, quilt made in 1835; Lois Frakes Brown, iwo quilts, one made in 1835 and one in 1866; Mrs. C. M. Reinster a quilt 75 years old; Mrs. George LaForce, a quilt made by her mother, Mrs. Peter Schuldt, 66 years ago, Laura Lee Blake, a quilt 150 years old, and a blanket carried by O. B. Albery, member or Company H, Thirty-second Ohio Volunteers, loaned by his son, Harry R. Albery, and to be given to Porter County Historical society at close of the Centennial showing.
The LaForce shoe store on South Franklin avenue has a fine showing of historical articles. There is a picture or Joseph LaForce, one of the pioneer hand-made boot manufacturers of Valparaiso, at one time maintained an establishment, employing 40 hands; boots made by Mr. LaForce in 1880 for W. J. Anderson; tow pull boot Jack, 98 years old loaned by James Cook; June bride's shoe, 1839; slippers brought to Porter county in 1856 by Mrs. Peter Schuldt; shoes made by John Frechette of Kouts, who was employed by Joseph LaForce 40 years ago and is now the only hand-made shoemaker in northern Indiana; boot Jack made by Peter Schuldt in 1869; guns, revolvers, snake-skin and other articles.
At the Meagher drug store an unusually large collection greets the eye. There is a photograph ot Leslie Skinner and Mabel Arnold taken 45 years ago; night gown, 75 years old, loaned by Mrs. William Hicks; a shawl costing $100 and 100 years old, loaned by Mrs. Walter Brownell; a copper poured tea kettle, made in 1776 by Walter Brownell's great-great-grandfather; power box, 175 years old loaned by Mrs. S. S. Skinner; soup tourine and platter and candlestick mold owned by Father Michael O'Reilly of St. Paul's Catholic church, loaned by Mrs. F. M. Clifford; Paisley shawl which belonged to Mrs. P. T. Clifford in 1860, mother of P. W. Clifford; plate that went through Chicago fire of 1781 loaned by Mrs. S. S. Skinner; harp brought from Ireland by P. T Clifford, father of P. W. Clifford; Bible of 1852, containing family record of David and Elizabeth Stoner, loaned by Mrs. Anna Stevenson; needle point picture made by Mrs. Nellie Meagher in 1875; picture of Dale Eames, local news dealer, taken 60 years ago, and also picture of his parents; Mr. and Mrs William Barnes; first catalogue of Valparaiso Male and Female college in 1859 and 1860 loaned by Emery White; photograph of Mayor C. L. Bartholomew when small boy; carried by A. W. Reynolds during Civil war, and copies of Harper's magazine of 1855, loaned by Gordon Reynolds; spinning wheel, loaned by Mrs. Charles McGee; old dress loaned by Miss Kate Binnamon; picture first graduating class of Valparaiso Normal school, loaned by Mrs. J. C. Carson; chair, 100 years old, and doll 150 years old, loaned by Harry Steppel; pioture of old-time residents, loaned by Mrs. A. F. Zimmerman.
The Van Ness Electric Shop has an interesting display, showing the development of light from the crude saucer lamp of 500 B. C. down to the present day, the mazda. In another window is shown a group of antiques, including a clock 100 years old, a spinning wheel, a chair which has been in the family 70 years, a box made by a member of the Masonic lodge with Masonic emblems and presented the Menden Mich., lodge in 1865; a what-not silver spoon, and a doll 85 years old, loaned by Mrs. Joseph Doyle.
At the Take Motor Sales company is shown models of Peter Cooper's Little Tom Thumb engine of 1829 on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, then only 13 miles long, which superseded the horses employed to haul trains, and the new streamlined train, air-conditioned. The models were shown at A Century of Progress Exposition.
Replicas ot plows used in Egypt in 2000 B. C., and still in use in some parts of that country, especially in the Nile valley, a Hindustan plow, in use today in many parts of Asia, inlaid and hand carved plow beams exhibited at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893 by David Bradley Manufacturing company, and plows of the 1860 and 1867 vintage, together with a lantern 75 years old and used by the Dillinghams in Liberty township, are on display in the Sears, Roebuck window.
The Western Union Telegraph company office is showing replicas of the Morse Telegraph Sounder and key used by Thomas A. Edison while engaged as a railroad telegrapher in the early sixties; a wooden hooded glass insulator used on telegraph line construction in the United States the glass being covered to withstand arrows of Indians; an emergency call box used at Terre Haute 35 years ago, and a replica of a Morse recorder used curing Edison's career in the early sixties.
At the Torbeson drug store, Vernon Hyatt is displaying Ice skates of 50 years ago; Jesse Nichols, a colt weaner 75 years old; Mrs. Roland Crowe, wooden shoes: Vernon Hyatt, a trap grown in a tree; W. H. Clifford, Van Swietens commentaries. 1758; Mrs. George Chester, an old Bible, 1787; George Chester, snuff box with Zack Taylor's picture on it and a copy of Campbell's poems, 1814; Vernon Hyatt and George Chester, old dauguerrotypes.
At the Roy Gossett liquor store, there is on display two chairs, 105 years old, and what-not, 130 years old, loaned by Kraft Upholstering company; a sewing box 135 years old, loaned by Arta Reis Benny; wedding shoes worn by Mrs. J. D. Hollett, mother of Mrs. Samuel Buchanan; linen, 177 years old, and beaded purse, 1865, loaned by Mrs. Samuel Buchanan; two original copies Uncle Tom's Cabin, loaned by Sam Buchanan; Sivil [sic] Civil war discharge papers of Benjamin F. Gossett, father of Roy Gossett.
A cape 75 years old owned by Mary Qooley, and a suit coat, 65 years old, and a doll 150 years old, loaned by Maxine McNeelcy, are among interesting exhibits at the Joseph Tittle & Sons' store. Other articles include: pillow cases brought from Chili in 1880, loaned by Mrs. Lulu Hicks; a coffee mortar 200 years old loaned by Mrs Mertie Garwood; plate 128 years old loaned by Lydla Hicks; Spinning wheel, loaned by T. F. Hughes and family; a Revolutionary gun loaned by Pete Hicks; a flat iron, 125 years old, loaned by Captain Gooley. There is also a salt shaker, 125 years old, and a cake dish, 65 years old.
At the A & B Grocery, is shown a copy of the Valparaiso Practical Observer of 1851; a bed spread made in 1837 by Lucy Wilison; a family register of Peter Staufer, born in 1832; an old-fashioned foot warmer, clock, candle holders and other articles.
The Smoke House has a wonderful display ot old pipes, some of which weigh several pounds or more, and many of which are odd in shape.
At the Mendel Music House, old guns and powder horns are featured, with a Stainer violin made in Austria in 1735, or 201 years ago.
The Keene Tire Shop has a fine display of relics, including a Civil war gun used by Cyrus Peterson, and now owned by Harold Prentiss; a cradle for cutting grain, owned by Andrew Collins; an old hand printing press, and an oxen yoke, owned by Elmer Keene; teachers' licenses issued to Martin Phares, former Porter county man, from 1873 to 1880, owned by Ralph Wheeler; a rifle dated from 1830, owned by Claus Lenburg; Indian hatchets, owned by Andrew Colllns; and old Porter county Atlas of 1876, and an old carpet sweeper.
At the Ray Scramm shoe repair shop .may be seen a small boot of 1861; a rifle of 1800; rifles of 1812, and musket, leaders of 1861-65, and Civil war cavalry sabers.
At the Argonne Cafe, the picture of Emery Bowman, well known Valparaiso man, peers out from the relic collection, chief among which is an old gun, said to be 200 years old, a clothes wringer, age unknown, and a pair of small white pants, age also unknown.
A lantern used by Reuben Quatermass, former Valparaiso man when he was