Publication: Glass Factory Year Book and Directory
Pittsburgh, PA, United States
This is the Golden Anniversary Issue of your GLASS FACTORY YEARBOOK AND DIRECTORY.
To mark the occasion, special research has been undertaken to gather information about glass manufacturers and individuals, active or retired, whose years of service also date back 50 years — or more. This special historical data is presented on the pages immediately following.
We congratulate the companies and individuals who have reached and passed this half-century milestone. We are proud that down through the years both the GLASS FACTORY YEARBOOK AND DIRECTORY and the American Glass Review have had the opportunity to mirror the wonderful achievements these men and companies have helped to make possible in the manufacture of glass.
The names of those men who have been in the glass industry for 50 years or more are, in most cases, included in the historical paragraphs of those companies with which they have served. All other 50-year veterans, including those of distributors and suppliers, are to be found in the supplementary list following the company histories.
Every effort has been made to include all companies and individuals who are qualified for the Golden Anniversary Review. If omissions are noted, we would appreciate having them brought to our attention so that recognition can be made in the American Glass Review.
The Rodefer-Gleason Glass Company
Original Plant — Established 1877
The Autumn of 1952 witnessed the merging of two veteran glass manufacturing concerns, both of whose histories can be traced back nearly three-quarters of a century. The new company is known as The Rodefer-Gleason Glass Company.
Rodefer Brothers was established in 1877 in Bellaire as a lamp chimney, lantern globe, vault light and private mould factory. It was incorporated in 1914 by C. M. Rodefer, son of Thornton, one of the original Rodefer brothers.
Gleason-Tiebout Glass Company, now combined with Rodefer, was established in 1902, being formerly the Glass Manufacturing Division of E. P. Gleason Mannfaclnring Company, established in 1882. The founder, Marshall W. Gleason, today is 99 years of age; Mr, Gleason was one of the founders of the National Association of Manufacturers of Pressed and Blown Glassware.
Today there are 200 employees, with headquarters and factory in Bellaire, and a sales office in New York. C. M. Rodefer is president-treasurer; J. M. Weeks, vice-president; H. H. Rodefer, vice-president; Marshall T. Gleason, secretary-assistant treasurer; S. H. Barnes, sales manager,
In addition to Marshall W. Gleason, now retired, C. M. Rodefer and J, M. Weeks (also retired) have been active for more than 50 years.